Monday, February 9

Trying Something New

I've been wanting to write a blog about subjects I care about for a while now. I just remembered my wife and I have this site, so I figured with her permission I'd transform our blog into something new.

When people ask where I stand on certain controversial topics my answer is cloaked in half truths.  My views depend on circumstances, as I think many views should. I've never agreed fully with one side or the other, and for a long, long time I have felt alone. How can I let my friends know I care about them, and still express my values? In this instance I'm talking about the issue of Religious Freedom.

I'm asked to wrap what I believe in a tiny easy to deliver package, but I can't. So, this blog will help me catalog what I believe. I also think writing it down and informing others reveals flaws in logic. So, feel free to comment.

When it comes to topics of controversy I can see both sides. I believe all people have the freedom to do what they want, we live in the land of the free, however laws are here to protect us. Yet are our laws missing the mark? I think so.

I read about all sides of any topic, I love to see what people are passionate about. Common Core, Science, Religion, The LGBT Community, Exercise, you name it. I'd like to now write on topics I'm passionate about.

My next post will be about my views on the LDS Church's Press Conference they had Tuesday January 27, 2015.

Click here to read what I'm talking about.

It seems I have found have others that want to come to an agreement on this topic. If you are like me let me know, I've felt so isolated with extremes from both sides that it was hard for me to express what I was feeling without immediately being attacked.

We have to look all around us and see if our actions have consequences. If they do, we have to figure out a way to do what's best for all parties involved. We have to all come to an agreement, not just compromise. We need to agree that here on earth we should to get along, and do so effectively.

I'm excited for this.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

I'm impressed that you prioritize seeing issues from all sides. If everyone would do this, the world would be a better place. It's frustrating to discuss issues with people whose views lean to the extreme one way or another, and it's always refreshing when they will take a step back and question their own views to try to understand how someone else sees the world.

Steven said...

Thanks Aubrey. I've been working a lot on my compassion lately. I think one of the qualities in the people I most admire is their compassion. They have there opinions, but are properly educated on the topics they believe in. You gave me a great idea about what to add to my next post!

Stephanie said...

I like that you have invited others to offer their opinions and agree that in sharing them, we can discover and challenge our own beliefs. I'm excited to read you posts.