Tuesday, May 26

Memorial Day in DC

This weekend, Steven and I were lucky enough to be able to celebrate Memorial Day in Washington DC. We went down to see my cousin who lives there during the school year. Last summer, I posted a little bit about her. We were able to see her perform in The Kirov's spring performance and she was absolutely beautiful! I am so proud of her; for her great talent and the dedication she has to live her dream.



This is Jordan-Leigh, my aunt Sharleen, and me...with my eyes closed...I know

After the performance on Saturday, we had the rest of the weekend to enjoy all the famous sites. We visited two of the Smithsonian Museums. This quote was above the entrance to the American History Museum.

We also went to the Air and Space Museum which is totally awesome. We got to see so many different planes, from the Wright Brothers original airplane to a space shuttle. It was super cool.


This is an original outfit worn by President Washington during many photos, dinner, and special events.


For me the most touching site was the Arlington Cemetery. American flags had been placed by all the headstones. We found ourselves in many places within the cemetery where, as far as the eye could see, there were headstones marking the graves of people had had lived their lives defending our country. It was quite sobering.



Here is the Tomb of the Unknowns, which contains the remains of unknown soldiers from WWI & II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam War. It is guarded 24 hours a day. The guard walks from side to side on the black carpet. He takes 21 steps and then pauses for 21 seconds, symbolizing a 21 gun salute, which is the highest military honor given. We arrived there at 7:00 pm, just in time to see the changing of the guards. The precision at which they takes their steps, handle the gun, and exchange places was impressive. In fact, all around the tomb are markings where thier steps have left perfectly straight lines and right angles in the cement.

On Sunday night, we walked the National Mall, which I think was my favorite part of the trip. Seeing the monuments lit up made them appear even more magnificent.

This is one of my favorite pics. In addition to seeing the Washington Monument in the Reflection Pool, you can also see the WWII Memorial (the faint yellow pillars, representing each of the 50 states) and the Capitol Building in the distance.

The Lincoln Memorial was my favorite thing to see. I especially liked the words engraved in the wall above him that read:

IN THIS TEMPLE
AS IN THE HEARTS OF THE PEOPLE
FOR WHOM HE SAVED THE UNION
THE MEMORY OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN
IS ENSHRINED FOREVER

We had such a great weekend. I think this was the best Memorial Day weekend we have had!

2 comments:

Swinging On Small Hinges said...

I loved the Mall in D.C. when we visited last year. I wish we could've seen it at night. I bet Arlington was amazing, the pics just can't do that place justice.

mommy said...

Wow. I'm so coming out there this fall.