Wednesday, February 11

Seeing Both Sides

Elders Dallin H. Oaks and Jeffrey R. Holland of the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and Sister Neill F. Marriott of the Church’s Young Women general presidency each spoke on behalf of the Church, outlining the issue and the Church’s position and a "fairness for all" approach. (link to text here)




I like the church's position. We need to consider both sides on this topic. What are we doing to those who are attracted to the same-gender when we deny them equal benefits and tax accommodations? On the other hand, what are we doing to religious freedom when we change the traditional definition of marriage. We need to come to a solution without vilifying the opposition. I think the approach the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has taken is the correct approach.

I hear cries from others demanding that religious leaders start to act like Christ and love their fellow man, is what the LDS Church is offering a relevant Christ-like solution?

Let me know what you think.

I just found this quote and really loved it. I thought I'd share.

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”
– Albert Einstein

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A good quote from this: "It is one of today's great ironies that some people who have fought so hard for lgbt rights now try to deny the rights of others to disagree with their public policy proposals." - Elder Oaks. My favorite line was Sister Marriott's: "The debate we speak of today is about how to affirm rights for some without taking away from the rights of others." I've felt that way for a few years now, and love that it was said in a public forum by representatives of the church. We enjoy our religious freedom and in doing so must allow others the same privilege, while also standing up for our beliefs. It's a delicate balance.

Unknown said...

Sorry, I don't know why it's now showing who I am, but this is Sarah Garcia. :)

Steven said...

Thanks Sarah! I agree, even our Savior conversed with and loved those who were different than He was. The example I get from Him is that we can have our values and opinions without standing on a moral high ground. I think often we argue the fact that someone has to be right or wrong, when really this situation is much more complex and stretches our ability to love with out fear. Thanks for taking the time to read, or watch this press conference.