Thursday, February 12

Public Affairs

A quick last post on this topic:

I have been made aware of a documentary coming out slamming same-gender attraction, and supposedly answering the question, "Was I born this way?"

My opinion: That's not for religion or politics to answer, that's a question for science to explore.

If you're interested, and have about 25 minutes, I'd like you to read an article. Click here to link to it.

It's an interview with Elder Dallin H. Oaks, and Elder Lance B. Wickman from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The interview was given by their Public Relations Department.

The article is about Same-Gender Attraction.

I feel this article expresses tolerance and gets to the main idea that inclinations and actions are very different. Also that we need to be kind and respect everyone.

Without compromising our own standards we can live side by side, and work together for that which is good.

There are a lot of really great quotes I could pull out and highlight, but instead I encourage you to read the article on your own.

I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this, and many people are still responding emotionally. Time will tell, but in the mean time take some time to read some really great answers to some pretty common questions. This is the closest interview I've found to expressing how I feel. I say closest because these are still general answers given by General Authorities of the Church. When I'm asked these questions it's usually in a personal setting and the need to get more specific is usually warranted. To answer these general questions in the manner in which these men did is impressive.

As always, if you have any comment or questions I'd welcome any feedback. I only ask that it be for the better of the conversation. If you have articles you are interested in feel free to post links in your comment. I'm still learning about this and love to hear other's opinions as well.


2 comments:

Aubrey said...

Thanks for linking to this article. I had never read it, which is a bit embarrassing since the interview took place in 2006!

Steven said...

Better late than never Aubrey! Obviously some of the questions and answers apply to us in different ways, but the principle remains the same. I feel an overwhelming love coming from these Brethren towards the people behind the actions. I might disagree with a certain lifestyle, but that gives me no right to judge the person. I think sometimes we remove the human aspect from actions of others making it easier to fight against a cause. Thanks for taking the time to read the article.