Saturday, February 14

Husbands and Wives


This Valentine's Day I'm not thinking so much about what I can do for my wife, but rather what I can STOP doing. 
I found a quote from Elder Joe J. Christensen I'd like to share.

The word deflate gives me probably one of the best visuals I've encountered on why it is important to avoid pointing out our spouses weaknesses or criticize them. 

          I will instead try to remember...

There is so much out there against marriage. Honestly, if I hadn't been taught the importance of forming a holy union with a spouse I'd probably just see marriage as a piece of paper. Well, it's not.
 If it were just a piece of paper I think more people would just sign it and get married, after all what does it change? I've come to find out the answer is it changes everything! 

I hope everyone out there reading this appreciates the people who love them. 

I was worried about losing friends while posting this blog. A lot of my friends do not share the same belief in God, Marriage, Children, Family, and Life in general. Mostly I don't want to come across as preachy. I talked to someone I deeply respect about putting myself out there and he said this, "Ya know, don't worry about it. The people who love you will still love you." I hope you all know I appreciate having you in my life. The lessons I'm learning and the principles I am sharing help me to find joy in this life. I share them with you because I care about you. Even if this weren't an assignment for class, I'd still do it. The class just gave me a little push, and content to post.

Both of these quotes are from the Marriage and Family Relations Participants Study Guide, an optional Sunday School course offered from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (found here). I got this slide from a Power Point Presentation for my class. 

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

So true! This was a big problem early in our marriage, and there is so much more peace and friendship now that we are less critical of each other. Makes such a huge difference!

Danielle said...

Thank you for sharing these quotes. They are a great reminder and so true!

Steven said...

Thanks Aubrey and Danielle for the comments. I wish I could say this is a thing of the distant past for me, or just a wonderful reminder. I'm doing some deep internal self reflection and facing some issues I was unaware of. Stephanie has been a great help and support.

The next post is going to be about wolves...